Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Union Terminal - Cincinnati, Ohio

The Union Terminal was built in 1933 and declared an historic landmark in 1977. It was renovated and reopened as the Cincinnati Museum Center in 1990. I haven't seen the exterior of the building, but the pictures I have seen are striking, and it has been named one of the top 50 architecturally significant buildings in the United States. Although the terminal is still there, the concourse area you see on the card was demolished in the early 1970s.  This may have been the impetus to declare the terminal an historic landmark. The 20-foot glass mosaics on the walls were moved to the airport.
The architect who steals my covers just returned from the annual Frank Lloyd Wright conference, which was held in Cincinnati this year.  He visited the terminal and brought me back this lovely souvenir - a pair of Union Terminal socks! Not only are they stylish and comfy, but I think I may be the only one on my block with a pair.

Here's the back of the postcard:

The message to John J. Marshall reads:
Johnny:
Sorry I didn't get to say so 'long but hear I am in the terminal building at Cincinnati (what a joint you ought to see it) and headed for Fort Knox.
JM
Time 4:30 P.S. Get Ida's address and say hello

You can find out more about the history of the Union Terminal here.

4 comments:

  1. They were, unfortunately, out of the matching boxer shorts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was impressed by the 20 foot mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me worked up, Christine.:-} I have a real fondness for Cinti, as it was sometimes spelled in correspondence. Jack/Youngstown

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails