Wednesday, June 29, 2011

M is for Mammoth, Musketry, and Monterey


For those who don't think giant watermelons are enough to make a card compelling, this one also includes an interesting message. In 1912, Al sent this card to his friend Clarence C. Woodbury at the School of Musketry at the Presidio in Monterey, California.
As an aside...I wonder if you could get a Master's of Musketry there; it has a nice ring to it. I'd like to be able to say that I got my Master's of Musketry in Monterey.


Al himself lived in Pinecroft, Washington, near Greenacres, just outside of Spokane. His message reads:

Pinecroft April 21, 1912
Dear Slim:-
Received the card a few days ago and will send you some Spokane BS in return. Have been working for Carpenters for over a week. Expect Rand will be back here soon. Goldie says machine men are scarce at W and the Bunker is hollering for men. Well, send us another of those fine cards. I appreciate them a whole lot as ever. Al

Here's the back of the card, turned around so you can read the message.

11 comments:

  1. Employers and some women find machine men to be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing the size of the produce there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Spokane BS"....you're pulling our leg with this postcard, aren't you Christine? And to think, a School of Musketry. It's not April 1st, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this postcard!! interesting how the message is "upside down"..i wonder why?
    school of musketry...too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I would have bought this card for the giant watermelons alone. I also would have bought it just for the BS message or the address at the School of Musketry. Good thing you weren't there - you might have seen it first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now we know where the giant potatoes go after they are tilled up. I really like the guy holding the big slice, and I never knew watermelon was such a big crop in this state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I just can't get enough of these giant produce postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, wonderful card and message! I like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best watermelon card I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great giant vegetable/fruit postcard of yours! I like this one the best so far.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails