Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Unchain My Hart

You're probably familiar with the card game, Old Maid. You don't ever want to be stuck with the Old Maid card at the and of the game.  It's the same with postcards. If you were to buy a lot of postcards on eBay, you might find several postcards of deer hiding in there with city views and nicer cards. Alternatively, you might find some cards of stalactites or other cave interiors. These are the seller's undesirable discards.

I had a lot of very boring deer postcards at one point, until I donated them to SCRAP. This one's not too bad though - and it works as an introduction to the photo of a deer I saw in someone's yard this spring.

Most of the people I know like to keep deer out of their yards, but these people wanted to make sure their deer wouldn't run off.


Merriam Webster's definition for hart: the male of the red deer especially when over five years old.
I'd say this one's at least five years old.

14 comments:

  1. Next time, donate ME the deer cards. Thanks! :)
    How are we doing on ingesting cephalopods? Remember: head first, for better intake. as for krill, "it don't matter". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the deer in chains! ha
    You have a SCRAP too? I love the one in SF for recycled mail art supplies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorin,
    I know you like wildlife cards, but you would not have liked the ones I got rid of. They were drab and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The family who owns the deer must really be attached to him! Thanks for pointing out SCRAP. I'm not from Oregon but we have a creative recycle center here, too, and it's always interesting to see the websites of other similar organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall have to get my camera out. There is a deer down by the lake; it has a target circle on its side and carries a number of gun-slug scars.
    I would have been proud to have taken the picture on your first card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both are wonderful. Yes, I don't think the guy in chains is going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I laughed at the deer in chains and then I started feeling sorry for him. Poor guy!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the pun on this thread. Interesting too to know deer postcards are expendable. I live within the city limits and my neighbor feeds a herd. Twenty two at one time in his yard is the record. Spends at least 100 bucks a week on feed. That's a lot of doe! They sure are pests and I wish the neighbor had gotten a cat instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating activity, Christine, collecting old postcards for the cultural significance they bear. I'm here from Baino who's in the throes of leaving us. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deer in chains, such a shame. I know just what you mean about the seller "discards". I've accumulated a number of deer cards, but what I really get inundated with are scenic views with no indication of the location. Booooring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the deer w/ the little boy. The deer seems to be so tamed. I hope it's a real photographed scene.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does PETA know about this deer in chains? On Sunday, the hub and I went on a hike on the Deschutes River and a fun backroads drive toward Wasco. Saw several deer (fortunately, no chains) and I'd swear I saw a pronghorn. Wasn't sure if we actually have those here....

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH Gott, Bambi in Ketten!!!
    Wenn das nicht skandalös ist.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails