Saturday, December 31, 2011

Glückliches Neues Jahr

Here are some ornate German New Year's cards. These were the cards that the Schweigert family sent to Adolf Stoltz in 1911, 1912, and 1913.  They were sent from Markirchen, Germany, which appears to be the town that Adolf emigrated from.  He settled in Lawrence, Massachusetts with his family and the Lutz family sometime around the turn of the century.




Albert Schweigert must have been a very good friend of Adolf's, because I have a lot of postcards that he sent. Adolf appears to have tried to fit them in an album of limited size, so some of the cards have been trimmed. It's a shame, but they're still beautiful.

Here are the backs of the cards in the same order.



I won't transcribe all three cards, since they don't relay any great news. The message on the one above reads:

Dear friend I wish you and your mother a happy New Year. Everything good, everything beautiful. Heartfelt greetings from Schweigert.

17 comments:

  1. 'Love Em All, But Especially The First One! Wishing You & Great New Year.Regards From Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful postcards, particularly the first one, I hope Adolf and Albert were able to visit.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they are just lovely! My mother was born and raised in Germany and my father met her while he was stationed over there (as a sailor) he married her and brought her home to America! I remember growing up how we always got the most lovely cards from Germany! It's such a treat to see them again here, especially on your blog..you just find the most awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trains and a snowy landscape, the perfect combination. The second card is very curious, and probably only understood with some knowledge of German culture, but a machine making gold coins would be a boon for the coming year.
    Wishing you a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm big on the New Year's train too, though the tracks would run a tad close to the shack for me, if I was the flagman... Like the twig (or ribbon?) text on that card too. And why didn't that gold coin spewing vehicle on the second card come down our street yesterday instead of the boring street sweeper picking up leaves?- would have made my day alot more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards. Even though most of the American postcards were made in Germany, they don't look like these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a lot of New Year cards for the first time this week - none beat those you are showing here.
    Happy New Year, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love 'em all -- especially #2! Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards (my vote is for #1) and all have that fine gold detailing that makes them seem special.

    Have a Happy New Year Christine! I have a new Portland artifact for you, which when I get a couple more of I will be sending them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog and wishing me a Happy New Year. The same to you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! I like the train spewing gold coins. We can only wish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful postcards! The "money train" is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails