Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tram Tuesday - Melbourne, Australia

I was surprised to learn that  Melbourne, Australia has the largest tram network in the world. That's right, larger than St. Petersburg or Berlin, with 250 km of track, 487 trams, and 30 routes. The tram system in Melbourne has been around since 1884 and currently provides over 182 million passenger trips per year.

In contrast to many places that had mostly horse-drawn trams in the early years, Melbourne focused on a cable-drawn system before changing completely to electricity in 1940.

There is no message on the back of the card, but here's a close-up.




7 comments:

  1. That postcard is just so creative. It is sending messages to me, for something used along that very thought! Such an interesting post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH COOL! I'm inspired. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting and unusual shape. I haven't seen a shoe used as a frame before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. Great fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of the bottom of a shoe on a city street is filth- I'm guessing the artist was drunk when he came up with this idea, then sobered up a bit and threw the flowers in to make up for the conceptual faux pas... That said, it is a great card, definitely unique and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that 'footprint of memory'. That's a unique design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard this phrase 'footprint of memory.' Interestingly, today computers have 'memory footprint':)I like the shoe design -- neat way to say that a city is walkable (car not needed) and yet it's advertising the tram -- go figure:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails