Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Czech It Out

Here is a real-photo card of a woman wearing a traditional Czech costume. The picture dates from sometime between 1930 and 1950.


These next two appear to be from Uherské Hradiště, a center of Moravian Slovakia located in the Czech Republic near the border with Slovakia.


Both of these photos have interesting studio props. There are tassels on the furniture in the first one, but also on the chair in the second photo. The clock plant stand is also an unusual addition. The second photo appears to be a wedding portrait. Both photos have pushpin holes indicating that they were pinned up somewhere to be viewed as treasured memories.


Here are the backs of the cards in the same order. The last two cards have writing on the back. Alas, I don't speak Czech or Slovak, but I think the first one says Sister Marika and Franta's wife and the second one says something about my wife and I. If you can read this, feel free to correct.


7 comments:

  1. The first costume looks like it is inflated. I wonder if there is something like a petticoat to keep the sleeves puffed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder too! I have a blouse with nearly the same sleeves, except they aren't ballooned, or inflated. These are a lovely find, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some outfit! :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobody looks very happy in any of those pictures. We have family pictures from around the same time with the same solemn looks. I guess it has to do with the fact that being photographed was not an everyday experience like it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All interesting pictures but that costume takes some beating! Thank goodness it wasn't her everyday wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I thought my clothes from the 70's were bad......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine the pat down TSA would give you with that first outfit, you could hide alot of stuff in there...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails