Sunday, December 27, 2009

Streetcar Sunday - Kharkiv, Ukraine


A pen pal from Kharkiv sent me this card in the 1980s. Kharkiv is the second largest city in Ukraine, after Kiev. Kharkiv has a population of just over 1.5 million and an underground metro system with 28 stations and about 35 miles of track. Kharkiv's metro system includes buses, trolleybuses, subway, and streetcars. The streetcars have been in operation for over 100 years!

This is the twelfth week of Streetcar Sundays. Click here to view previous Streetcar Sundays.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for collecting and publishing the Streetcar Sundays. Since childhood I have loved streetcars. I look forward to seeing each of your posts.

    Dr. Leland Whitson
    Redondo Beach, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dr. Whitson. Your comment came at a very good time. I get very few comments on the Streetcar Sundays, especially relative to other posts. I considered discontinuing it, because I thought maybe I was the only one who really enjoys the streetcar postcards. I'm so glad to hear that you like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the city of Kharkiv is in Ukraine, you should post this postcard under the heading of "Kharkiv, Ukraine," not under the Russian version of this city name. You wouldn't post Russian place names in their Ukrainian versions, would you? Or the German versions of Italian place names?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I have changed it. I originally had it as Kharkiv, since it is almost always referred to as Kharkiv today. I actually didn't realize that the difference in spelling was based on Ukrainian and Russian spellings. I initially left it as Kharkov, because that's how my pen pal always wrote it and also how it was written on the card, but of course those were different times and it was the U.S.S.R. Thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails