Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Snowdon Railway

Every now and then when I'm reading other blogs I'm inspired to dig up a related card from my collection. In this case I was reading about Mt. Snowdon in North Wales on Sheila's blog, A Postcard A Day. I like her post because it not only tells about Mt. Snowdon, but also has a message from the sender recounting the experience of hiking to the top. Sheila also mentions that while many people seem determined to hike the summit, a train was  built in the 19th century. Here's that train.


There is a lot more information on the official railway website, although I couldn't seem to find information on how long the journey takes. I would probably want to hike up and take the train down, but the site warns that there is not always space available for one-way trips down.

Unfortunately, no message on the back.

7 comments:

  1. Pre-stamped with "Summit of Snowdon", I see. I wonder if there's an illegal trade in postcards being brought down the mountain to those who can't make it to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ties in nicely with Sheila’s post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, I bet they sell them pre-stamped at the summit. This person just never got around to writing a message or sending the card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone know when you could send a postcard for 1/2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the details in this, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,
    The price to send a postcard within the UK was 1/2d from the 1890s until it was doubled to 1d in 1918. It was raised to 1.5d in 1921, but then quickly reduced to 1d again because of public dismay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have been up that railway a few times. Beautiful views all the way up - and there is a bar at the top!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails